Saturday, May 18, 2019

Donelle Top and Dress Road Test

Donelle Dress and Top
a Designer Stitch Design


Can I just say, this jersey knit dress and top design was so much fun to make, not to mention a very simple design to sew up. I enjoyed sewing up this design, I made 4 different versions and used the 3/4 sleeve option for each. I had to write a blog to mention each version I sewed up. aff link, http://designerstitch.com/?affiliates=12

I first started with the top version shown below. Finding a 3" circle belt glide was easy for me as I already had a few in my sewing box. For the top version I used a combination of a light scuba and jersey fabric, not sure of the content. 


I was happy with the top results and how quickly it was to sew, so I decided to make the full dress version, shown below. I made the tea length and it seamed a tad bit long for me. On the advice of Ann, the designer, I cut it to knee length. Cutting the dress to knee length was a great decision, very happy with the results. I used a cotton jersey for the knee length version, very comfortable to wear.

Original Tea length


Knee length

I then decided I wanted a going out for dancing, salsa top version. I made this top out of stretch velvet, shown below. I also couldn't find a 3" round belt glide that matched, so I made one. I had a black plastic 3" round belt glide in my sewing box, I rubbed it against the cement outside to rough it up, and began to glue rhinestones that I had in my sewing box. Very happy with the fit results.



But, my all time favorite Donelle make, is the pencil skirt add on. I had this striped fabric that I just wasn't sure how I would use it, until the pencil skirt add on was created by the designer. I love how it turned out. The striped fabric is a double brushed poly, and the pencil skirt portion of the dress is a medium weight cotton jersey fabric. I am very happy with the results of this version, shown below. This is my friend's favorite too.



Overall, I am very happy with all my Donelle makes.
Thank you Ann Grose for designing the Donelle and it's many different versions.

For more information on the Donelle or any other Designer Stitch design, click on the aff link. By using an aff link, this helps me buy more fabric to be able to continue to test for designers and do what I love, sewing. Thank you for reading my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment